Look at those eyes…
Getting a kitten isn’t like shopping, or buying a toy or a laptop or anything else you’ll ever imagine.
Adopting a kitten is something life-changing.
I knew I wanted one, and I knew I wanted to love someone unconditionally, even if I didn’t know what that meant. So I set a strong intention for it…and it happened, after 3.5 weeks of back & forth.
These are 5 ways in which I changed, as a person, atleast a little bit, in 5 days since I got my baby:
#1 Caring, Really Genuinely Caring
I always thought of myself as a caring person. And I’m sure I was one too. But getting a kitten added a whole new level to it. For alteast the first 2 days, she formed 90% of my thought processes…remaining 10% was my work. I had 0% thought about me. I was concerned — was the toilet situation ok for her? Is the food ok? Is she going to adjust fine? What should I do to comfort her, apart from, ofcourse, letting her be? What food is best for her?
Hours of reading & researching on the internet & asking friends.
And at the end of 2 days she let me pet her and decided to curl up in my lap. It was a reward (for me). I felt like she understood how much I was trying to care for her, while also giving her her “space”.
First 2 days she didn’t come near me directly. It was beginning to wear me off…I was feeling like all I was doing was working for her, and not even being able to show my love for her (which reminded me of some other relationships as well). But I hung on. I knew that she would let me come close sometime…it was only a question of time. And she did. And it was purrfect. I learnt what purring is, and if I could, I would have been purring along with her.
#3 Difference of Perspectives
For the first time, I think, I really, really understood what difference of perspective is.
For example, her pooping or peeing on my bed was annoyance for me. But to her, it was due to an insufficient litter box situation. She was just doing what she is supposed to do, as an animal, what her instincts told her to do. She wasn’t wrong…she was trying to make do with what I gave her.
It was annoyance to me because I washed my 2 comforters like 3 times each and was tired. I dreaded her peeing on it again. I really did. But though I was concerned about my comforter & my broken back from all the washing, I was even more concerned about why she would do it. She knew where the litter boxes were, and she knew how to use it…her way was also very simple. A lot of research at 4am told me that her litter box wasn’t what she wanted. Cats are fastidious about cleanliness and it just wasn’t cutting it. So I rearranged the whole setup at 5am. Then on, she was happy with it.
For the first time, I could see the clear chasm in the perspectives of two beings, making it so obvious to me how my perspectives of many situations must be so limiting, only that the other person’s point of view is something I cannot see or understand right away.
#4 Unconditional Love
I feel I can say I know what unconditional love is — when it takes over all argument, all irritation, all logical reasoning. I just can’t be mad at her. I just can’t be mean to her. I can’t do anything other than love her. Even my temporary irritation at her clawing me or chewing my leg or meowing when I have a headache is as ephemeral as smoke. I love her above all else, and she deserves it.
I didn’t have any cat toys, and I needed some urgently to keep her busy. She is a hyper active kitten who loves to play. I had no idea I could make so many trappings her for her everywhere and have her enjoy herself with it.
I don’t know how else she is going to change me in the future…but I know that I’m overall losing it far less with people :)